Thursday, May 17, 2007

Mormons in the News

So recently the media have given a lot of coverage on Mormons. I don't know whether it is just a coincidence or it's because we have Mitt Romney trying to run for office, but it's a good thing, overall, to let the rest of the world know us better. I honestly am quite sick of all the stupid questions like how many wives I have or am going to have. I can't even handle one woman right now, and I don't know why those ignorants think we Mormons have the power to deal with multiple at the same time.

I watched the documentary broadcast by PBS from a couple of weeks ago called The Mormons, and I think they did a decent job. It gave an generally objective view of an outsider on Mormonism, and of course it is from a well-informed outsider about the Church for that matter. I learned quite a bit about the Church's history myself from watching the show. For any of you who have not seen it, the link is http://www.pbs.org/mormons/view/, and I recommend you check it out. The only part that bothered me is that most of the people they interviewed who have been affiliated with the Church are former members. I think they gave an honest perspective about Mormonism, but it is an honest but somewhat biased perspective. Well, I guess I can argue my view on the matter is biased in favor of the Church, but I think at least PBS should have interviewed both sides more equally.

The biggest problem about people who are concerned about Mormons is simply that they don't know enough to make a fair judgment. I admit there are quite a few things we can improve in our culture, but the Gospel and doctrines the Church implement are the best. See, those who attack the Church often don't have the real knowledge of who we are and what we believe in. I always think it is interesting when I see those protesters outside of General Conference every year, because I don't understand how they can call us the devil while they devote their whole lives trying to tear down other people's faith. To me, it is obvious who is doing evil right there, and it's sure not us Mormons.

Anyway, it is really late at night, and I don't even know what I am saying. It's just one thought that led to another, but I guess that's the beauty of blogs. I don't have to write something that can earn me an A in an English class.

No comments: